Sunday 14 June 2015

The 'No 'Poo' Movement

First off, this not about 'poo' its about shampoo.
The kind that goes in your hair.

About four months ago my husband told me about an article he read about people (mostly female) celebrities not using shampoo. Many of them 'swear by it' and apparently, after a few weeks of gross oily-ness, you will have softer, fuller, healthier hair.
I was completely intrigued.

See, I have long hair. Really long hair. If I don't move it, I'll sit on it. I can't even do a sock bun, it's so long.
I did not mean to grow it for so long but every time I wanted to cut it, something would prevent me.
I've always loved my hair but, though very thick and heavy, it does not have much body.

As soon as my husband told me about the 'no poo' movement I looked into it for myself and this is what I found:
The Hairpin- How to Quit Shampoo Without Becoming Disgusting
The Hairpin- Three Years Without Shampoo

I looked around a bit more but I came to the conclusion that there is no one way to do it.
Everyone has their own methods but the outcome is the same.
I also realized that 'no shampoo' is no store bought shampoo but you're using baking soda to clean the oil out and apple cider vinegar to condition.
I have read that some people have gotten to the point where the oil production of their hair is completely balanced and they only have to use the baking soda and apple cider vinegar once a month.

I wanted direction so I just followed the Hairpin method.
My hair got really really gross.
Fortunately my hair is so long I could put it up into a bun and still look presentable.
I washed my hair with just water for four weeks then used baking soda and apple cider vinegar.
It's been a few weeks now, and my hair already has more body and volume to it. The colour is more vibrant and it is so smooth.
I'm really looking forward to the next few months to see how my hair reacts and gets healthier and healthier.
I do intend to cut my hair soon and then I'll work on weaning myself off the baking soda and apple cider vinegar.

I definitely recommend this method for everyone. If I am blessed with a daughter I have no intention of ever using shampoo in her hair.
It does take patience but it is well rewarded and you're saving yourself money.

Have a good Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment