Thursday 24 September 2015

Favourite Fall Pies

Yesterday was the first day of fall, which happens to be my favourite season, and I intended to post my three favourite fall pie recipes.
Well, I did not have time so I'm posting them this morning.
I never really cared for pies growing up because my mom never made them. She made cakes and Philippino desserts.
My husband LOVES pies. Love is actually an understatement but it will do. So here is the first pie I ever made in my life:
First pie I ever made- March 17, 2012
This pie is Michael Smith's Old Fashioned Apple pie.
It is absolutely perfect and simple. The crust is buttery and flakey and the filling is delightful especially with tart Granny Smith or Honey Crisp apples.
Fresh and from scratch is always the way to go.
Find the recipe right here: Michael Smith- Old Fashioned Apple Pie

The second pie I ever made is a pumpkin pie. I do not have a picture of any of the ones that I've made.
This recipe is from a man called Chef John and his website foodwishes.com is one I frequent. He has lots of great and easy recipes on there.
My favourite thing about this pie in particular is how easy it is made. While he calls for canned pumkin puree I roast a pumpkin and puree it myself. If you skip that step, however, the crust is made in a food processor and the filling is mixed together in a few minutes.
Give it a try this thanksgiving: Chef John- Best Pumpkin Pie Ever

The third pie I love is my established favourite- Joy the Baker's Dad's Sweet Potato Pie.
In Canada we call it a 'yam'.
I love yams- we always had them at turkey dinners growing up and so now they are a necessity for me when I made roast chicken dinners and turkey dinners.
This pie, though it contains a lot of sugar, has the best spices and the yams give it a certain something that elevate it from a pumpkin pie.
This one does take a few more steps then the two above but it is well worth the effort.
Here it is: Joy the Baker- Dad's Sweet Potato Pie

If you're apprehensive about making crusts, the one linked to in Chef John's pumpkin pie recipe is the easiest one I've seen and made.
One good thing to note is not to over work your pie dough. Once you have incorporated all the flour, let it be- it keeps make your crust flakey.

I hope this was a blessing to you and that your Fall brings cooler weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment