Saturday 11 March 2017

What You Want

The last few weeks the Lord has reminded me of some lessons He taught me a few years back.
Before I had met the man who would become my husband, I was talking to a friend about my ideal man. I told her that I had realized that what I think I want in a man is not what I want in a man. In other words, what I think I want is not what I need because what I need is what I really want.
Or rather, I don't know what I want. I told her that God knows what I really want in a man because He knows what I need in a man. What God wants for me is better than what I want for me so I just need to leave it up to Him.
I took my hands and mind off my 'love life' and gave up looking for anything, trusting that God would bring the right person along when it was time.
He did.
Years after we were married and because of social media I started wondering things like 'why doesn't my husband do that?' or 'why isn't he like this?' and so on. There was a particular person who would really flaunt stuff like that and it would realllllly bug me. I started feeling dissatisfied with my husband because he wasn't doing things those other husbands were doing.
One day the Holy Spirit pointed out that if my husband was like those 'other husbands' he wouldn't be my husband. Other then those gestures and things those other husbands did, none of those men were appealing to me in anyway shape or form. When I really thought about it, all of those men are sentimental and rather soft. I'm not interested in men like that. That realization killed all those thoughts of dissatisfaction in me though it would be a few years yet until I got off social media.

Recently we've been asking ourselves 'what if this happens?' or 'what if that happens?' Then the Lord points out- the things He wants for us, aren't they better than things we want for ourselves? The things He knows are best, aren't they better than the things we would give to ourselves?
Shall not the judge of all the earth do right?
Genesis 18:25c
Even if the path to those things is hard, shouldn't we let go and let God bring us along through it if that is what He really wants for us?
For I know the thoughts that I think
toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of
peace, and not of evil, to give you an
expected end.
Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment