Tuesday 12 May 2015

Train Up a Child


I am momma to a very sweet little boy named Boaz. We call him Bo.
I'm not saying he's sweet because he's my son. I'm saying he's sweet because he is sweet.
The child makes almost everyone smile. He flirts with cashiers at the grocery store, he waves at trucks, he smiles and chats with waitresses, and he plays well with other children.

He's always been a very happy child. I was once told that it was a result of my being very calm during pregnancy. I was calm during pregnancy (maybe too calm?) but I cannot verify this statement.
I want him to retain that happiness. Life won't always be easy for him. He will, Lord willing, grow up to have responsibilities and challenges. As his mother, I want him to enjoy the time he has as a carefree child.

Here are a few things I do to make sure my son is happy and content:
1) Spend quality time with him- Since his birth I've learned that I need to take time, sit on the floor, and play with him. Sometimes we sit on my bed in the dark and play with flashlights or create pillow mountains to climb over. Sometimes we play with his cars, sometimes we read or do puzzles.
He knows he is loved because I give him my time. It's not just quality ten to fifteen minutes here and there. It is a few hours here and there. Quantity is just as important as quality when it comes to your child.

2) Training- If you want a confident child, train them. Boaz does not melt down when I don't do something for him right away. Why? I've trained him to wait.
If I am folding laundry or making dinner and he comes up to me wanting a drink I do not stop what I'm doing to accommodate him. I make sure he knows I've heard him but I finish the task in my hand before I help him. (I help him right away in emergencies, if you were wondering)
This encompasses every area of life- sitting still for more than a second, eating, being quiet, listening the first time- your child will be much happier when there are established rules they can be guided by.
Training starts at home. Don't wait until you're at the mall to start teaching your children what you expect from them.


3) Be consistent- sometimes I am lazy and I just want to let things go. It never ends well. My son needs me to consistently lay down the rules and correct bad behavior.
If he misbehaves in the morning and receives swift and just punishment, I usually don't have to correct him again that day.
It is never too early to teach our children about the consequences of sin. It is paramount in their path to salvation.
I've heard other parents say it- the earlier you start and the more consistent you are: the less you will need to correct their behavior as they grow. It will be trained into them.


4) Do things just for them- I always stop at construction sites so Bo can watch what's going on. He absolutely loves it.
I let him play in those mini-mall-rides because he loves it- especially the Lightning McQueen at the Walmart we go to.
I always share my dessert with him.
I say yes whenever I can.
I give him freedom to choose when I can.
When possible, I let him roam free and explore.
I take him to the park to play everyday.
I've known a lot of parents who say no for no's sake. I've seen first hand how a deprived child dives right into those forbidden things and ruins their lives in them.
Life is short and childhood is fleeting. I try to let my son fill up on the good things he loves.
A lot of being a toddler is being told 'no' and 'stop'. As adults we don't like that, our children are no different. It just creates rebellion in them. By allowing them freedom when we can, we give them an outlet for all the things we can't give them.
Most of the time, when it's time to leave the park or stop what we've been doing, he's okay with it. By now he knows that we didn't have to stop to do this or that for him. He knows that we give him these things when we can and that there will always (Lord willing) be a next time.

5) Teach them from the Bible- The fact is, we are fallible. The Bible is not. By teaching our children that we are subject to an infallible authority, we are teaching them that we are accountable for what we do as parents.
If we can show that we are ruled by the bible and are humble enough to be corrected by it, our children will learn to trust us and be more open to listening to us.

I could probably go into more things but the five above are the things to focus on when your child is young. Establishing these things early helps create a good environment for you child and makes it the 'norm' around your home.
Remember:
A happy home is the closest thing to heaven on earth.

And remember too:
Train up a child in the way he should go:
and when he is old, he will not depart from
it.
Proverbs 22:6
That there is a promise but you have to put in the work.
Don't leave it to the world, school, church, and chance to train your children.
She looketh well to the ways of her
household, and eateth not the bread of
idleness.
Her children arise up, and call her
blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth
her.
Proverbs 31:27&28
There. Right there in God's Word it tells us that if we 'look well' to what our children are doing, our children will grow up and call us blessed.
No it's not easy but it is so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment