Wednesday 6 May 2015

Training Them Up- Church Nursery Time

I've been blessed with a Sunday School class!
Actually, I suppose it's more of a nursery class since it is during the main service and only involves children too young to sit for the preaching.
I have four regular students and two more that come occasionally. There are two 2 year olds and two 4 year olds.
Since they are young children, the main purpose of this time is to get them ready to sit through a sermon. We do fifteen minutes of free time, fifteen minutes of songs and a story, then a craft.
Currently, I am going through major events in bible history with them.
My first lesson was about Moses' mother placing him in the basket.
Last Sunday, I taught them about the burning bush. Since they are young, I decided I'd make a felt board to emphasize the story:


The children loved it and it got their full attention. My goal is for them to use these visuals to remember valuable bible lessons.
The felt was very easy to work with. It is very inexpensive and you can buy it at Dollar Tree, Walmart, and Michael's. Michael's has the most variety of colours and even some different textures.
I made a stencil for Moses and I'll be using it to create more people figures. The only sewing I did was Moses' and the sheep's eyes. I want to be able to use the Moses' body for other people so I did not glue the clothes onto him.

We also did a burning bush craft that involved lots of glue, tissue paper, and shredded paper:

It was a lot of fun but more than that: it was a blessing.

This Sunday, Lord willing, I'll be teaching about Moses and Aaron approaching Pharaoh and doing a mother's day craft.

If you have a group of children during the main service at your church, please consider adding some structure to it. Even if you have really really young ones, make a point of singing a song and having them sit through a short story.
Children thrive on structure and it will be a good start in preparing them to sit with the adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment