Thursday 1 October 2015

Gleanings from Hebrews

I recently finished a study of the book of Hebrews. I have never looked at Hebrews in depth before so I found a whole treasure trove of discoveries.
A while back my position as a dispensationalist was questioned. It's not a bad thing to have your beliefs questioned, as you grow in Christ you need to re-examine your stance on things and change according to what the scripture says. When my position was questioned I studied the matter for myself and made sure what I believed was right. I did not have to change my beliefs. In fact, I'm even more persuaded of them now then I was before.
Before you go running off calling me a hyper-dispensationalist, let me explain. I take the whole Bible as the perfect Word of God and I believe it in it's entirety. I believe the whole Bible is written for us but not everything in the Bible is written to us.
I will not skip over books like James, Hebrews, the gospels, even the entire Old Testament just because they were not written to the Church. I will certainly read, study and know them but I will not get my doctrine from there- specifically salvation doctrine.
For whatsoever things were written
aforetime were written for our learning,
that we through patience and comfort of
the scriptures might have hope.
Romans 15:4

That all being said, the Lord directed me to study Hebrews.
Having been questioned, a few times, about divisions in the Bible, I am ultra-sensitive to the words God uses in scripture. I don't believe God let any word into His Word if it wasn't the right word. This made reading Hebrews really interesting.

There were a few things I studied that further cemented my stance that there are divions in the Bible and that a book named Hebrews would be written to the Hebrews. I thought I'd share some of these things that I've learned. This is not a commentary at all, just comparing scripture with scripture and seeing what the bible actually says about it self.
My study began in Hebrews 1 verse 1:
God, who at sundry times and in divers
manners spake in time past unto the
fathers by the prophets,
(2) Hath in these last days spoken unto us by
his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of
all things, by whom also he made the
worlds;
God, right away, refers to the fathers who He spoke to by the prophets.
Is there any question who He is talking to?
The fathers refer to the Israelites who bore sons who bore sons who bore sons that are the nation of Israel. Peter, talking to 'ye men of Israel' elaborates on this Hebrews passage in Acts 3.
So who is the 'us' in Hebrews 1:2? The 'us' are the sons of the fathers in verse one- the jews.

This book is for the Jews- specifically Jews (and those who convert) in the tribulation. At this very moment the Jews (as a nation) do not believe that Jesus was the Son of God. The book of Hebrews clarifies it for them in a way that relates to them- the Priesthood of Christ. God makes it very plain that the sacrifices of animals, made by imperfect Levitical priests cannot take away sins (Hebrews 10:1-4).
Jesus, however is
Called of God an high priest after the
order of Melchisedec.
Hebrews 5:10
Just a note- the first time the word 'priest' appears in the bible it is a reference to Melchisedec (spelled Melchizedek in the OT) in Genesis 14:18. You can read more about Melchisedec in detail in Hebrews 7. The word 'priest', 'priests', 'priesthood', and 'high priest' does not appear in the bible between the books of Acts and Hebrews. 
Having established that Christ is a perfect high priest, having made one sacrifice for all, and is passed into the heavens, Hebrews 8 describes the need for a new covenant.
For finding fault with them, he saith,
Behold, the days come, saith the Lord,
when I will make a new covenant with the
house of Israel and with the house of
Judah:
Not according to the covenant that I 
made with their fathers in the day when I
took them by the hand to lead them out of
the land of Egypt; because they continued
not in my covenant, and I regarded them
not, saith the Lord.
For this is the covenant that  I will make
with the house of Israel after those days,
saith the Lord; I will put my law into their 
mind, and write them in their hearts: and I
will be to them a God, and they shall be to
me a people:
>skipping down to verse 13<
In that he saith, A new covenant, he
hath made the first old. Now that which
decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish
away.
Hebrews 8:8-10,13
He continues in this vein through chapter 9, dealing with the earthly tabernacle as a picture of the heavenly tabernacle and the ordinances of the priesthood.  
For the blood of bulls and of goats,
and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the
unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the
flesh:
How much more shall the blood of
Christ, who through the eternal Spirit
offered himself without spot to God, purge
your conscience from dead works to serve
the living God?
Hebrews 9:13&14
I think that's amazing- it might be obvious to everyone but to me it was the first time I realized that the blood of animals purified the flesh but did not purify the conscience. I did know that the levitical sacrifices were just a stand in until Christ came, but I had not really considered what the animal's blood was cleansing.
By the end of the chapter we know that Christ dealt once and for all for the sins of the world. The Holy Spirit describes it to a Jew in a way the Jew will understand. The tabernacle was given to the Jews so they could have fellowship with God. All us saved gentiles know is the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. We've never had to know anything about the temple (except to study).
The Holy Spirit describes Christ's sacrifice in Jewish terms- the tabernacle and the sacrifices- the covenant originally given to Moses.

Hebrews 3:
(15) While it is said, Today if ye will hear his
voice, harden not your hearts, as in the
provocation.
(16) For some, when they had heard, did
provoke: howbeit not all that came out of
Egypt by Moses.
(17) But with whom was he grieved forty
years? was it not with them that had
sinned, whose carcases fell in the
wilderness?
(18) And to whom sware he that they should
 not enter into his rest, but to them that
believed not?
(19)So we see that they could not enter in
because of unbelief.
Hebrews 4:
(1) Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise
being left us of entering in to his rest, any
of you should seem to come short of it.
(2) For unto us was the gospel preached, as
well as unto them: but the word preached
did not profit them, not being mixed with
faith in them that heard it.
(3) For we which have believed do enter into
rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my
wrath, if they shall enter into my rest:
although the works were finished from the
foundation of the world.
There is a lot we can learn here but I'm going to focus on one thing. The phrase 'harden not your heart, as in the provocation' appears three times in the bible, twice in Hebrews 3 and once in Psalm 95:
(8) Harden not your heart, as in the
provocation, as as in the day of
temptation in the wilderness:
(9) When your fathers tempted me, proved
me, and saw my work.
These mentions obviously refer to one event: the refusal of Israel to go into the promised land the first time. The record is found in Numbers 13&14.
Above, in Hebrews 4:2 notice the bolded phrase: unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them.
'Them', evidently, is referring to the Israelites who could not enter into His rest because of unbelief in the day of provocation. There is no one else in the passage who 'them' can refer to.
The gospel was preached, way back, before Christ had manifested Himself in the flesh.
Numbers 14-
(6) And Joshua the son of Nun, and Caleb the
son of Jephunneh, which were of them that
searched the land, rent their clothes:
(7) And they spake unto all the company of
the children of Israel, saying, The land,
which we have passed through to search it, is an
exceeding good land.
(8) If the LORD delight in us, then he will
bring us into this land, and give it us; a
land which floweth with milk and honey.
(9) Only rebel not ye against the LORD,
neither fear ye the people of the land; for
they are bread for us: their defence is
departed from them, and the LORD is with
us: fear them not.
(10) But all the congregation bade stone
them with stones. And the glory of the
LORD appeared in the tabernacle of the
congregation before all the children of
Israel.
(11) And the LORD said unto Moses, How
long will this people provoke me? and how
long will it be ere they believe me, for all
the signs which I have shewed among
them?
>>skip down to verse 23<<
Surely they shall not see the land which
I sware unto their fathers, neither shall any
of them that provoked me see it:

As best as I can figure out, the text I've bolded in the passage above is the gospel preached to the children of Israel in the day of provocation. There is one more verse I should mention in Numbers 13
(30) And Caleb stilled the people before
Moses, and said, Let us go up at once, and
possess it; for we are well able to overcome
it.
This was the gospel preached to them:
-Go up and possess the land
-rebel not against the Lord
-fear not the people of the land
-the Lord is with you.
If they had obeyed God in that day, they would have entered into His rest. Please do not tell me that promised land is a metaphor or a picture of heaven, while it is in some cases, in this case it certainly is not. We are talking about a literal, physical occurrence and the book of Hebrews literally tells us that the gospel was preached to them.
I was very excited when I discovered this because it is proof that there is more than one gospel preached in the bible. There is only one gospel for us in the church age, but throughout the entire canon of scripture, there is more than one gospel mentioned.
Search for yourself: is there anywhere in any of the applicable passages to the provocation that the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ is even mentioned?
Before you count me accursed consider this:
I marvel that ye are so soon removed
from him that called you into the grace of
Christ unto another gospel:
Which is not another; but there be some
that trouble you, and would pervert the
gospel of Christ.
But though we, or an angel from heaven,
preach any other gospel to you than that
which we have preached unto you, let him
be accursed.
As we said before, so say I now again, If
any man preach any other gospel unto you
than that ye have received, let him be
accursed.
Galatians 1:6-9
This passage in Galatians is talking about the gospel of Christ
The first time the gospel of Christ is mentioned is Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel of
Christ: for it is the power of God unto
salvation to every one that believeth; to the
Jew first, and also to the Greek.
The gospel of Christ is salvation to everyone that believes. The gospel Paul preached to the Gentiles is found here: 1 Corinthians 15:1-4.
Paul, the apostle to the gentiles (Romans 15:15&16), in the first book to the gentiles, in the first chapter to the gentiles, tells us what the gospel is for this age. Not only that, the term gospel of Christ is only mentioned from Romans to 1 Thessalonians, it fits neatly into the books written to the church in the age of Grace.
This business of the different gospels in the bible is for another post, one I do intend to write if I ever have the time.
Suffice it to say this: 
Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you
the gospel which I preached unto you,
which also ye have received, and wherein
ye stand;
By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in
memory what I preached unto you, unless
ye have believed in vain.
For I delivered unto you first of all
that which I also received, how that Christ died
for our sins according to the scriptures;
and that he was buried, and that he rose
again the third day according to the
scriptures:
1 Corinthians 15:1-4
That is our gospel, that is how you will be saved. Once more:
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth
the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine
heart that God hath raised him from the
dead, thou shalt be saved.
Romans 10:9
Back to my study of Hebrews:
It is becoming more and more prevalent to believe that the 'age of grace' started way back in Genesis with Adam and Eve. People are leaving off rightly dividing. If you study scripture, desiring God's truth, you will come across division after division. For example: there's an Old Testament and a New Testiment- DIVISION.
God did not just put the word 'gospel' in Hebrews 4 because He had no better word. He used 'gospel' because it was a gospel that was preached.

I continued my study and a few days later I was in chapter five verse eleven:
(starting in verse 8 for context)
(8) Though he were a Son, yet learned he
obedience by the things which he suffered;
(9) And being made perfect, he became the
author of eternal salvation unto all them
that obey him;
(10) Called of God an high priest after the
order of Melchisedec.
(11) Of whom we have many things to say
and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull
of hearing.
Verse 11 struck me because it did not fit the way the writer had been writing up to this point. To my memory at least he had not just thrown out a reproof to his audience. Why would the Holy Spirit move him to tell the subject they are dull of hearing?
So I looked up the phrase dull of hearing
This phrase is mentioned three times total in the bible. First in Matthew 13:15-
For this people's heart is waxed gross,
and their ears are dull of hearing, and their
eyes they have closed; lest at any time they
should see with their eyes, and hear with
their ears, and should understand with
their heart, and should be converted, and I 
should heal them.
This is Jesus talking about the Jews. Read Matthew 13
Next mention is in Acts 28:27-
For the heart of this people is waxed
gross, and their ears are dull of hearing,
and their eyes have they closed; lest they
should see with their eyes, and hear with
 their ears, and understand with their heart,
and should be converted, and I should heal them.
This time it is Paul speaking to the Jews. Read Acts 28
The third mention is Hebrews 5:11 seen above.
Jesus, Paul, and the Holy Spirit writing in Hebrews are quoting Esaias (Isaiah):
And he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear
ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye
indeed, but perceive not.
Make the heart of this people fat, and
make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes;
lest they see with their eyes, and hear with
their ears, and understand with their heart,
and convert, and be healed.
Isaiah 6:9&10
You know who he is talking to? The Jews.
After the Holy Spirit tells THE JEWS that they are dull of hearing He goes on to tell them:
For when the time ye ought to be
teachers, ye have need that one teach you
again which be the first principles of the
oracles of God; and are become such as
have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
Hebrews 5:12
They rejected Christ (Acts 28:28) so the gospel of Christ went out to the gentiles and-
blindness in part is happened to Israel,
until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
Romans 11:32
This proves, once again, that Hebrews is written to the Hebrews.
What advantage then hath the Jew? or
what profit is there of circumcision?
Much every way: chiefly, because that
unto them were committed the oracles of God.
Romans 3:1&2

I think I'll leave it at that for now. There is so much to get into but so little time.
I hope this was enlightening and helpful to you in some small way!

No comments:

Post a Comment