Friday 27 March 2015

A Virtuous Woman- A Woman's study of Proverbs

Who can find a virtuous woman?
For her price is far above rubies.
Proverbs 31:10

I think womanhood is beautiful.
Women have power men cannot buy. We have influence men cannot buy. We have the advantage of authority without the burden of it.
The tragedy of this current world is that it is trying to break God's natural design of things. Womanhood is no exception.
I don't believe women should be kept back and given less opportunity then men simply because of their gender. I do believe that men and women each have very different strengths and that we thrive in our natural roles.
Yes, natural roles.
There is a natural place for a woman and a natural place for a man. We have characteristics and strengths that are natural for our genders. Not all characteristics are good but we're only human.
Something I've always wanted to do is a study on the women of Proverbs.
Proverbs mentions women a lot- wisdom is personified as a woman.
There is the strange woman, the foolish woman, the virtuous woman, and the wise woman.

Have you ever read Proverbs? I've read one chapter of Proverbs (31 chapters, 30-31 days in a month) almost every day for years now. You know the fascinating thing about it?
It is not a doctrinal book.
It is a book of wisdom.
YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE SAVED TO BENEFIT FROM IT.
You should get saved to avoid hell, destruction and judgement.
But Proverbs will help you get through any kind of life situation- student, teacher, stay at home mom, working husband, singles, any person in any walk of life will benefit from it.
Proverbs 1
The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;
To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the 
words of understanding;
To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and 
judgment, and equity;
To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge
and discretion.
You want wisdom? go to Proverbs.
The best preachers I know quote Proverbs constantly throughout their sermons.
Not a day goes by where I do not quote a Proverb to myself.
This verse, for example, has saved me many times:
He that is slow to wrath is of great
understanding: but he that is hasty of 
spirit exalteth folly.
Proverbs 14:29
The last part particularly helps me, because of it I never rush into anything. I always weigh my options, get other people's opinions and make sure I am fully prepared for any decision.
That includes shopping- big and little things.
Have you ever known someone that rushed into starting something and failed because they didn't get the proper materials or people in place? Have you ever spent more money than you needed to because you didn't take the time to gather your facts or wait for a good deal?
In the moment, emotion driven decisions are not good:
and he that hasteth with his feet sinneth.
Proverbs 19:2b
God does not speak well of haste.
That's just one of the ways Proverbs has helped me. It will help you too if you give ten minutes to reading it in the morning. While you eat breakfast perhaps.
I'm looking forward to my study of the women of Proverbs.
We'll see where God takes us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment