Wednesday 18 March 2015

Word Study- Covetousness

I was studying Colossians one day and came across this verse:
Mortify therefore your members which are upon
the earth; fornication, uncleaness, inordinate
affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness
which is idolatry:
Colossians 3:5
That list- fornication, uncleaness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence were all things I understood; but covetousness which is idolatry stuck out to me.
I know what covetousness is- I mean, it's defined for you right in the ten commandments- but why associate it with idolatry?
Now, I know enough about God and the bible to understand why you would put it like that. I mean, wanting something so much you worship it seems to be an alright explanation right?
One thing any experienced Christian knows is that God doesn't do things 'just for the sake' of doing it. He has a will and a purpose and it will happen. When it comes to his Word, he does not mess around (just check Proverbs 30:6 and Revelation 22:19 if you don't believe me). If it's in there there is a reason.
So I looked. If you want to learn something in the Bible then remember this passage:
Whom shall he teach knowledge? and 
whom shall he make to understand doctrine?
them that are weaned from the milk,
and drawn from the breasts.
For precept must be upon precept,
precept upon precept;
line upon line, line upon line;
here a little, and there a little:
Isaiah 28:9&10
Precept must be upon precept, line upon line. I don't think there can be any doubt to what that passage is talking about-
God will teach knowledge to those who study the bible using the Bible. None of this 'originals', what does the greek say, business. What sort of God would give you a book you wouldn't understand on its own?
So went to Thy Word is True and typed in covetousness.
The very first time God uses covetousness it says:
Moreover thou shalt provide out of all the people able men,
such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness;
and place such over them, to be rules of thousands, and rulers
of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens:
Exodus 18:21
Hating covetousness is in God's top three qualifications for leadership!
He then says in Proverbs 28:16b-
...He that hateth covetousness shall prolong his days.
God also shows us a way out of covetousness:
Incline my heart unto thy testimonies ,
and not to covetousness.
Psalm 119:36
Turn your heart toward God and his Word and He'll turn your heart from coveting.
I did not really intend to talk about covetousness today but it is where the Lord lead me.
After I studied all the verses containing covetousness, I looked at covetous and covet.
It says in Luke that the pharisees derided Jesus out of covetousness- and look at what they ultimately did to him!

Needless to say, I have a problem with covetousness. It's getting a lot better since I did my study but the flesh doesn't go down without a fight.
We live in a covetous society, don't we? We all have to have the bigger better or at least equally good thingmajig as the other person. We always have to be the better person.
A preacher once said this: nothing shows you are weak more than being unthankful.
I didn't like hearing that but it is true. It takes God's grace and strength to be happy for the nice things other people have. Those nice things come with a price- think about it.
God says this:
And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
1 Timothy 6:8
And this:
Let your conversation be without covetousness;
and be content with such things as ye have:
for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
Hebrews 13:5
Covetousness is idolatry because we put what we covet above our love for God. We erect a fleshly idol and cast aside his promises, commandments, and love.
Any seasoned Christian will tell you- God gives to us freely when He is first in our hearts and we glorify him.

Like I said, I love to knit. One day I felt the urge to go to Value Village and look at the needlework section. I meandered my way back there not expecting to find anything but lo and behold- I found three crochet needles I had been looked for for a long time and best of all- circular needles in almost every size for 2.99!
Sure I would go to Michael's and look longingly at those same new needles, but getting them second hand, for next to nothing, by God's gentle nudging made those Value Village needles more precious than gold.
I could list verse after verse of God's promise to take care of us but I'll leave you with this:
If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts 
unto your children, how much more shall your Father
which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
Matthew 7:11

No comments:

Post a Comment