Tuesday 14 April 2015

Balcony Gardening and my Plant of Choice

While I'm working on my next Strange Woman post in my Virtuous Woman series and I thought I would share a little about one of my favorite things- my garden.

I live in an apartment so I have to make do with a little balcony garden. Still, I'm very thankful for it.
Sorry for the bad angle- I can't really get a good one
my husband brought home a discarded pallet for me
I'm attempting to grow green beans this year
My rose and strawberry table- I look out for roses to propagate
Besides strawberries, roses, and green beans, I am growing thyme, oregano, rosemary, mint, sunflowers, raspberries, blueberries, and a few different flowers.

When I first started gardening I thought I would be more of a 'practical' gardener growing only edible plants. However, I love roses too much not to grow them, and frankly, not all edible plants are practical.
Gardening is something I do after my baby goes down for his nap. It's very relaxing to prune, water, and weed- yes they find their way into my potted plants- for a few minutes each day. It's exciting to see seeds sprouting, new buds forming, and fruit ripening.
Fruit tastes best when it's tended by your hand. My strawberries and raspberries taste like candy- my son won't eat store bought berries when mine are in season.
Freshly cut herbs add tasty dynamic to my cooking. They also make lovely gifts if you plan a head to dry them.
My Alpine strawberries early last year
If I could only grow one plant it would be oregano.
Very easy to care for, it is the only herb that is more potent dried than fresh (according to various sources on the internet and my own experience). It is a very versatile herb that goes in almost anything- particularly pastas.
I dried lots of it last year and was able to give jars of it to people as gifts- people who love to cook especially appreciated it.
Not only practical, it looks and smells lovely.

Out of control and ready to be cut
Yesterday I was finally able to bring my bursting oregano plants inside to prune and harvest. Last year I found that pruning helps the plant grow more lush and gives you a steady supply. I have two full grown pots of oregano at the moment and one pot I've recently planted. I'm hoping to plant a fourth pot this year for a large supply and Christmas stocking stuffers.
Oregano on my coffee table
I am not an expert at this so please go to a reliable source to learn the whole process of growing, harvesting and drying for yourself. I've found this method works for me in my mild west coast climate.
I cut the oregano at about 4 inches.
I shake them in case there are bugs on them
I lay the oregano carefully on a cooling rack that I've placed on a cookie sheet:

I put this in the back of a low kitchen cupboard and leave it for ten or twelve days. Once completely dry I place it in a jar and use as desired.

I hope this was an encouragement for you in some way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment