Monday 27 April 2015

Careful and Troubled

I did not mean to leave this blog for as long as I did.
Last week was a very very busy week for us and I was not able to write.
Fortunately things should slow down a bit and I can get back to normal.

Yesterday during Sunday School my pastor was talking about growing in the Lord and he touched briefly on this passage in Luke 10-
Now it came to pass, as they went, that
he entered into a certain village: and a
certain woman named Martha received
him into her house.
And she had a sister called Mary, which
also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.
But Martha was cumbered about much
serving, and came to him, and said, Lord,
dost thou not care that my sister hath left
me to serve alone? bid her therefore that
she help me.
And Jesus Answered and said unto her,
Martha, Martha, thou art careful and
troubled about many things:
But one thing is needful: and Mary hath 
chosen that good part, which shall not be
taken away from her.
Luke 10:38-42
As my pastor was reading this yesterday I felt God's hand heavy on my heart- conviction. I relate very strongly with Martha in this passage. She's got people over, she needs to serve! Her actions are not sinful but they are not wise.
So let's look at Martha:
God said she's cumbered about much serving- she was burdened by serving. She clearly was not happy about it. 
I suppose putting pita and hummus out for people to munch on was not an option.
Jesus and the disciples were just on the road, they must have been tired, dusty, thirsty, and hungry. Martha, as a housekeeper, saw that and wanted to help.
Whatever she was doing, it was not with the right heart. We know it was not with the right heart because she complains to Jesus that Mary is not being helpful.
A cheerful person who is willing to serve doesn't care about the work- they are happy to do it.
I know exactly what this is like. I've had a rough day with my son then my husband comes home after working for 12 hours and he just sits on the couch or lies down.
I see that and my flesh rushes into action, anger flares, frustration builds up- can't he play with our son or read him a book so I can get a break?
At that point I remember that he's been working 12 hour days 5 days in a row and he really needs a break and the Spirit conquers the flesh.
My initial reaction is like Martha's- why aren't they thinking of me?
Me, me, me. See, I'm considerate because I'm making dinner for YOU but YOU aren't considerate because you're not doing anything for ME.
Did you know that real love is not about what the other person does for you but what you do for the other person?
Real love is loving someone even when they're actions are not very loving towards you. That's why real love- God's love- is called charity. It is selfless. (read 1 Corinthians 13) The new bibles muck it up by replacing 'love' with 'charity' but I will not go into that now.
Finally, Jesus, who knows the thoughts and intents of the heart tells Martha 'thou art careful and troubled about many things:'
I am careful and troubled about many things.
Careful as in 'full of care' (see Pilippians 4:6)
I need to make dinner tonight, the laundry needs folding, does M have enough work pants, how is my sour dough starter coming, what am I going to wear to that thing tomorrow, what will I make for the potluck on Sunday, what do I need at the grocery store, and on and on and on.
Full of care and troubled.
Do not get me wrong, those things need to be taken care of, but what is really important?
Jesus says 'but one thing is needful' and that is sitting at Jesus' feet and hearing his word (Luke 10 39).

As women we feel we need to please everyone. We are caretakers, nurturers, and it is in our nature to get things done.
My husband appreciates a clean house, warm meals, and clean clothes. Even more, he loves it when I have a loving spirit and a sweet heart towards him.
What good does a clean home do when my attitude is rotten?
He wouldn't care to stay home with me if I treated him like dirt.
What good does his favorite dish do him if I'm nagging him all through dinner?
No. Good. At. All. That meal would be poisoned.

My best days involve a good dose of the Word and a heavy prayer time. The best time for me is as soon and my son goes down for his nap. I struggle with that.
Sometimes I'm so bent on cleaning up that before I know it, nap time is over, the house is clean, but I have not spent any quiet time with the Lord.
The most important thing anyone can do is spend time with God. That must be our first priority.
If you put God first, everything else will fall perfectly into place.
Having trouble with your spouse?
Love God more, get to know God more, talk to God more and you will make a difference in your marriage.
Having trouble organizing yourself?
Spend time with God before you do anything else. Read your bible and pray then see how your priorities shape themselves and you will be more productive.

Things in life pile up. My husband has a busy job. He is not guaranteed two days off a week. That gets hard. I feel like I'd like a day to myself or a few hours without worrying about our son. I do not have that privilege.
Talking to God is the biggest stress reliever. What's more, He gives me the grace and strength to have the right attitude and heart when I feel I'm going to melt.

I hope to post part two of the Strange Woman in the following days.
I hope this post was a blessing and a help to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment