Saturday 11 April 2015

The Purl Bee

Please excuse my absence over the last few days. My husband and I got very sick and I haven't had the energy to even think about doing anything.

Jack the Alpaca Octopus- one of the more fun projects I've ever knitted.
Find the pattern link below

The Purl Bee is my favourite knitting website.
I mean, it has it all- knitting, crochet, sewing, and more.
I've done a few of their crochet and sewing projects but I have knitted quite a few of their knitting patterns.

Here are a few of my favourites:
Knit Octopus- A really huggable octopus that gives me joy every time I look at it. I had so much fun knitting it I did not mind knitting eight identical arms- usually that would bore me. I particularly love it because of the use of techniques I had not come across before.

Long Lovely Mittens: I actually did these with the thumbs cut off so I could text without having to take the mittens off. A very nice relaxing project that has served me well this winter.

Garter Ear Flap Hat: This I knitted for my little niece or nephew expected to arrive in June. I don't think a cuter hat has ever been designed. I used a silk/bamboo blend which made it even more fun to knit. I'm looking forward to seeing my sister's baby in it. I definitely recommend it as an introduction to short rows if you haven't done that already.

Baby Bonnet: I knitted this last summer for my own daughter- whenever God gives her to us. The pattern was too cute for me not to knit. I did find this a little technical for my level of knitting last year. A very precise pattern- don't bother winging any part of it. I enjoyed it, learned lots, and fully intend to knit another one in a better yarn.

Big Herringbone Cowl: I knitted this for my sister a few years ago. Herringbone is, apparently, the hardest knitting technique. It did take a little while for the pattern to flow smoothly but I managed. Its a very beautiful, luxurious peice once you're done.

Currently I'm working on this bobble sheep pillow. I love the look of it on their website and I'm excited to finish my own. It's not my number one project at the moment so I'm taking it slow.

Anyways, take a look at their site. They have a ton of gorgeous free patterns to choose from. They also sell lots of beautiful yarn but as a Canadian, it would cost me way too much to purchase.

If you look at the side of my page there is listed a few sites for knitters. If you're a Canadian and like good, quality, beautiful yarn take a look at eweKnit, Espace Tricot, and Pitanga. I've recieved good service from each on of those online stores and I love their yarn selections.

As much as I appreciate Michael's, most of their yarn selection makes me cringe. I'll probably post on good yarns they sell at a later date.
I hope this was a blessing to you in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment